The audience seemed to really like the discussion which I put down to the great panel members:
- Fred Lalonde of Hopper Travel
- Jennifer Lum of Adelphic Mobile
- Zeid Barrakat of Flyberry Capital
- Jay Meattle of Shareaholic
Questions we covered included:
- How is your company is using Big Data to disrupt the vertical you're in?
- How much of your big data secret sauce is about the data (acquiring, curating, creating) vs the algorithms and architecture used to process the data?
- What has "big data"enabled which was not possible for startups 5 years ago. Could your companies have existed 5 years ago?
Two great quotes from elsewhere in the event were:
Big data is bullshit (Brad Feld)
The database people have been asleep, and Oracle has been providing the narcotics (Andy Palmer)