Eve, the apple and the omnivore's dilemma

I have the privilege of studying Torah every other week with a group of dads at my kids' school. We have been going two or three years now and have reached the beginning of Genesis chapter 3 in which Eve is faced with the choice about eating a new kind of apple...

In a close reading of this (which is the only kind we do) we wonder aloud about many meanings of the story. One of the participants noted that only humans have doubt ... should I eat it or not? This reminded me of The Omnivore's Dilemma (which I have mentioned many times). The title of the book is drawn from the dilemma that humans and other omnivorous species (such as rats) all share about whether to eat something unfamiliar which looks possibly tasty.

I think we could suggest that Eve was the first human to suffer from this omnivore's dilemma. Had she chosen differently perhaps she would have been the only one (assuming all her descendants would have inherited her restraint)...

No comments: