Report from the Jungle

I spent today at Social Media Jungle Boston, organized by Jeff Pulver. Check out the twitter stream on #smjbos, if you want to see the back-channel chatter.

The speakers mostly (and understandably) looked at the interpersonal interactions of what is, after all, social media. However when I got up for my slot, I choose to talk about Twitter as a Universal Information Stream. Slides below or here.

I included an idea from Matt Volpi (about automatically reporting point-of-sale data and also DVR data), from his comment on this blog when I first previewed this talk and asked for input. Thanks, Matt! Others may also recognise their ideas replayed here as well, so please remind me if I owe you credit.

5 comments:

Richard Dale said...

Just found a great tweeting cat door.

Richard Dale said...

Zappo's realtime sales map is a real-time automated (mapped) data stream of sales made ... if sent to twitter simultaneously would be another example of my hypothesis, but is pretty close, wouldn't you say?

Richard Dale said...

Here's a grand dashboard from Sprint, that is also on the same topic. Amazing.

Richard Dale said...

I love this - semi-automated tweet when fresh stuff ready at the bakery. Check out the video on Vimeo.

David Harlow said...

Twitter can send a message when a cat door iused or when a baby kicks in utero (cute, quaint) but it can also be configured to transmit messages to online health records from real-time patient monitors (blood pressure, insulin tests, etc.) cutting out the opportunity for patient error in recording and entering data, and perhaps reducing health care providers' distrust of non-health-professional-entered health data. De-identified data may be collected and aggregated in order to aid in analyzing population health or behavior as well.