The Omnivore's Dilemma

I only really read books on vacation. The rest of the time it's as much as I can do to keep up with our subscriptions to The Economist, The Atlantic and The New Yorker (no newspapers, thank goodness, even if The Economist calls itself one).

I just returned from a truly wonderful vacation in Canada - wonderful in many respects, the books being only one. I read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, and the first half of JPod by Douglas Coupland.

The Omnivore's Dilemma is absolutely wonderful... well worth the read. I loved an early passage in which he reminds us that eating is, for most of us, our most pervasive engagement with nature, and that the depth of this engagement cannot be underestimated.

(More on JPod once I have finished it - I hope it does not have to wait until my next vacation!)

Technorati:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Richard good to hear you had a great time on vacation!

If interested Organically Speaking a Seattle base website has released a conversation with Michael Pollan podcast (audio conversation). Interesting tidbits on farmers markets, CSAs, and more!

Some Podcast Show Note Questions:

Q) Why the price difference between conventional food and organic and how do we go about bringing down organic food prices?

Q) How can small local organic farmers remain local in a capitalistic system?

Q) What is the "Food Web" you briefly touch on in your book, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals.

http://OrganicallySpeaking.org

All the best,
-Ricardo

Holistic Conversations for a Sustainable World