VC:VC Income and Outcome

Here is another posting in my VC:VC series (comparing Venture Cycling to Venture Capital).

When does income = outcome?

In Venture Capital, outcome is exactly income. We are a ruthless, capitalist lot (hence the name), and its all about the dollar. In the end our investors measure us purely on the income we provide them on the investment they make in us. Outcome = Income.

The one solace I have as a not-so-closet wealth-redistribution-supporting pinko-liberal type is that a large proportion of our investors are educational, academic and charitable organizations and we are helping them maintain and grow their endowment funds.

In the Venture Cycling world, there is also some component where Outcome = Income. I have been soliciting sponsorship for Hannah and me for the Hazon 2006 New York Bike ride and I am proud to say between us we have raised nearly $7,000. In this case Income is Outcome. However, if you have read my series of recent postings on our experience on the ride you know that the outcome was so much more than income. The emotional charge of the accomplishment of the ride itself, the time spent with Hannah bonding around biking, and the connections with the great community of people we met, are all outcomes I will treasure long after this years fundraising dollars are spent.

Outcome is greater than Income...

But I think we all knew that before I started.

While you can, and if you haven't, please go ahead and sponsor Hannah or me for the Hazon 2006 New York Bike ride .

Technorati:

No comments: